Georg Meistermann trained at the Düsseldorf Art Academy from 1928 until 1933. In the years 1937-39 Meistermann travelled in France several times. Late Cubism became the basis of his painting, from which he developed a style that was increasingly abstract. From 1938 Meistermann also designed stained-glass windows and attained a mastery in this field that was acclaimed worldwide. After the end of the second world war, Meistermann's reputation grew. In 1950 he was awarded the Blevin-Davis Prize, then the most important German art competition. Moreover, he was appointed to head the class for fine graphic art at the Städelschule in Frankfurt am Main in 1953. This position was followed by an appointment as professor for fine art and monumental painting at the Düsseldorf Art Academy. In 1959 Meistermann was awarded the Großes Bundesverdienstkreuz [Grand Federal Cross of Merit], followed by an appointment as professor to the Karlsruhe Art Academy, where he stayed until he retired in 1976. In addition, Meistermann was president of the German Artists League from 1967 until 1972.In 1986 the Düsseldorf Art Academy made this acclaimed artist and former student an honorary member. Georg Meistermann died on 12 June 1990 not long after being awarded another class of the Federal Cross of Merit. Thanks to Georg Meistermann's work Germany again rejoined international developments in art following the second world war.